At Seldons Estate Agents we want you to benefit from our extensive knowledge of the lettings market to achieve the best possible rent and tenant. We take a personal interest in giving you the best possible service and removing the worry of negotiating complex legal issues when letting your property.

Our Commitment To You
Our commitment is to offer to all our clients a professional, efficient and personal service. Our primary objective is to find the most appropriate Tenant for your property at the best possible rental.

If you are reading this page and you are a Landlord then we appreciate that you will have a number of matters influencing your decision to instruct a Letting Agent and some of the questions in your head may be…. 


What rent will I achieve?
We have an established Letting Department who have been letting property in the area for decades and we know our market, so can give you the best advice on the rent you will achieve and advice on what you may need to provide or do to your property to achieve this. Our appraisal is FREE and we can chat over our services and what we can do for you at the same time.

How quickly will you let my property and how can I avoid void periods?
We hold an up to date database of prospective Tenants so we have people we can go to immediately we are instructed. Your property will be seen in our Prime Quay side offices, advertised on Rightmove, Zoopla and, regularly advertising in the local paper. Our goal is to find the best quality tenant for you in the shortest possible timeframe becasue we understand void periods dent your yield. 

What quality of Tenant(s) will I get from you?
We recognise this is one of THE most important aspects when letting your property. Provided tenants meet our initial 'in house' enquiries ,we then reference through an external referencing company who provide credit checks locating bad credit history and County Court Judgements, employment and previous Landlord checks to ensure as much information is obtained and verified to reduce any risk factors on prospective Tenant(s). We will agree with you the type of Tenant(s) you will accept and whether you will accept pets etc.

 What is it going to cost me?
Initially this may be your first thought, but if you look at the big picture it isn’t just about the charges but the effectiveness of the service provided by a Letting Agent that will affect your yield and what goes into your pocket. So the cheapest fee won’t always cost you the less in the long run. So you need to balance your decision to ensure you make the right choice.

If you are using us on a Full Management basis we can organise rent protection and legal expenses insurance, if required, to provide you with cover in rent arrears situations and also cover the costs of regaining possession for Tenants who proceed through our referencing process.
We hold a deposit from the Tenant and things as regular inspections and monitoring of the rental account take place to reduce issues together with quick response to any issues. Please see our Terms and Fees page.

How I am protected?
For peace of mind, we are members of the following trade and regulatory bodies:

  • TPO - The Property Ombudsman, an independent arbitration service.
  • Mydeposits -  A security Deposit is taken at the start of the Tenancy and held by Mydeposits a deposit protection scheme. This dispute service is an independent company established to resolve tenancy deposit disputes in the private rental sector.
  • CMP - Client Money Protect, this scheme protects your money against theft or misappropriation by the Member.

What Lettings Services do you offer?
We offer Full Management and a Tenant Find Only Service. We can also tailor our services to suit individual requirements.

What type of Tenancy Agreements do you use?
All lettings will be by way of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy for an initial minimum period of six months. These are individually drawn up for each Tenancy and are accepted in the courts of law and by all major building societies.

What about inventories?
We can provide an ingoing Inspection Report with photographic record. A signed copy of this document inventory is held by the tenants and kept on file.  For managed properties this record will be usedwhen checking the property when the tenancy terminates and for interim inspections. For Tenant Find only properties, Landlords will be sent a copy of the inventory. 

There are many rules and regulations to consider before letting your home and below we outline the principles of the three most fundamental rules:

(a) Fire & Furnishings (Fire)(Safety)(Amendment) Regulations 1993
These regulations came into force in March 1993. Broadly speaking the regulations require that all soft furnishing, upholstery or upholstered furnishings (including beds, mattresses, pillows, settees, armchairs, scatter cushions and bean bags) should conform and comply with earlier fire safety regulations which have been in force for some time controlling the sale of such goods. The furnishings must comply with the following three tests, each of which measures the flame retardant properties of the furnishings: The Cigarette Test, The Match Test and the Ignitability Test.

(b) Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
All Landlords who let property with gas appliances are subject to this act. This not only includes gas fires and boilers but other appliances such as cookers, hobs and portable heaters.

If your property contains gas appliances, they must be serviced on an annual basis and any remedial work undertaken to bring the appliances up to standard. In addition, the engineer must provide a record of the inspection, part of which must be supplied to the Tenant(s). Anyone contracted by a Landlord to install, repair or service gas appliances must be GAS SAFE registered. We can organise this at the Landlords request and for your fully managed properties we ensure this test is conducted annually as required.

(c) Electric Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994
These regulations state that all electrical equipment over 50 volts must be safe and also satisfy requirements relating to sleeving of pins on plugs, colour coding of main leads, labeling of cables and fusing information. Although the law does not say that the electrical equipment has to be tested, the best way to protect yourself from prosecution is to have relevant appliances tested annually by a suitably qualified electrician.

You will also require a current nergy Performance Certicate, which we can arrange for you via our independent contractor


When do the Tenants pay their rent and when do we receive our cheque?
All rents are due monthly in advance and rent received by us will be transferred into your account, or one nominated by you, within 14 working days of receipt of cleared funds. We will send you a ‘statement of account’ at the time detailing the rents collected and expenditure incurred by us while acting on your behalf as your managing agent.

How do we know whether our property is being looked after properly?
For our Managed Properties, we make regular visits to all the properties on our register and you will be advised of any problems that are found during these visits. We also visit the property for other reasons such as late or non-payment of rent, following up problems as reported by the Tenant(s) or if we believe the Tenancy Agreement may have been breached.

Who is responsible for repairs and general maintenance?
Generally, you are responsible for all costs incurred for repairs and general maintenance. We have a comprehensive list of accredited contractors we use or, alternatively, we will be pleased to follow your instructions and use your nominated contractors should you wish.

Who is responsible for garden maintenance?
Under the terms of the Tenancy Agreement, your Tenant(s) are responsible for your garden and its maintenance (unless otherwsie agreed). If your Tenant(s) fail to carry out garden maintenance, we will arrange for the service of a professional gardener and charge the Tenant accordingly.

N.B. It is unlikely that your Tenant(s) will do more than keep the grass cut and borders weeded. If you wish to maintain your garden to a higher standard, please feel free to discuss this with us.


How can I regain possession of my property?
You take possession at any time after th end of the initial Fixed Term by serving the correct notices. In the rare event of a Tenant(s) failing to vacate the property on the due date, it is likely that court proceedings will have to be initiated, which is both time consuming and expensive. Rental & Legal Expenses Insurance is available to protect you and we will be glad to advise you regarding this.

For your complete reassurance Seldons Estate Agents are members of the Property Ombudsman Scheme and follow their Code of Practice. TPO offers a free, impartial, independant dispute resolution Service.A copy of the Code of Practice and the Consumer Guide is available from our offices or Details for our Complaints Handling Procedure are available on request.











Whilst we delighted that COVID cases finally seem to be falling, we will continue to take a prudent approach by keeping some of our safety measures in place, including the wearing of face coverings, please.